Sunday 7 June 2015

Adobo Experience: A Taste of an Authentic Filipino Cuisine


By Abel Pagaling   

Twitter: @abel_pagaling

The TFCC team was invited to dine at the Adobo Experience, the newest Filipino restaurant in Calgary located at 4303 17th Ave SE.

After I’ve enjoyed all the wonderful food they served us, all I can say is “WOW! This restaurant is going to be great!”
Jerry Caingcoy, TFCC Founder/Advocate with Abel Pagaling and Brent Anotado.
The moment we arrived, we were greeted by Eva, one of the four partners of the restaurant.  You’ll notice right away that the restaurant has an unmistakable Filipino feel to it, from the bamboo adorned walls, to the rattan chairs.  It felt like "home".

But the Filipino experience was just starting.  The other 3 partners, Ronaldo, George, and Jeffrey came to our table and warmly greeted us, giving a brief history of how the restaurant came to be. 

I was captivated by their story.  I knew I had to spend some time with each one of them.  But before that happened, the banana leaf covered plates were brought to our table, followed by the appetizers:

Tokwa't Baboy
Pinoy Spring Rolls
 Soon after, the rice was served and I was excited!  I expected the best and I wasn’t disappointed!  We were treated with:

Bulalo Caldereta
Smoked Flavored Spicy Adobo
Flaming Bulalo
Now, I’ve had adobo before, but I must say their “adobo experience” was one of a kind. 
If it wasn’t for the presence of Mr. Jerry Caingcoy, the TFCC founder, and Mr. Brent Anotado of BA Productions and lead TFCC producer,  I would have finished all of the Adobo dish!

After that, the desserts came.  Again, just a wonderful experience!  We had:

Buko Pandan
Cassava Cake and Maja Blanca
Sapin-Sapin

Two hours later, we were done and happy.  Not only that, we were inspired as well.  I talked to each owner on how they came together as a team.

First, I talked to Eva Parangalan.  She came to Canada 6 years ago as a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) in the food industry.  Her family’s passion is Filipino desserts, and she’d like to continue that passion in the restaurant.

Then I talked to George Manliwat.  He also came to Canada as a TFW and worked 5 years in the food industry.  But before this, he worked 18 years in hotel restaurants in the Philippines.

Then I talked to Ronaldo Nunag, Like George, he also started out as a TWF and worked in the food industry.  Prior to this, he was a cook for 4 years in the Philippines.

TFCC Champion Team with Adobo Experience Partners
Finally, I talked to Jeffrey Angeles.  He also came to Canada as TFW, worked in the restaurant industry for 8 years prior to coming to Canada, and worked for a year in the restaurant business in Canada.

These four owners did not know each other in the Philippines.  They all crossed paths here in Canada as TFW’s who are passionate about the Filipino cuisine and they decided they needed to start their own Filipino restaurant.  After only a few months of planning and with a small budget BUT with determination and passion for Filipino food, they made their dream restaurant come true! 

I asked Jeffrey about the name of the restaurant, Adobo Experience.  He said, “I want to represent the dish that all Filipinos know and admire, and that’s Adobo.  I want them to be proud of this Filipino food just as we are!”

Brent Anotado of BA Productions,  TFCC Production Lead.
Then I asked Ronaldo what made him enter into the restaurant business.  He said, “I want to inspire my fellow Filipinos that we can be entrepreneurs.  We are not just hard working employees, but we’re business minded as well.”

Unfortunately, I can’t write everything we talked about with the owners.  But one thing for sure, each one is passionate about giving their customers a true Filipino cuisine experience!  And they are all proud to showcase the Filipino culture in Canada through the food they create.

Personally, I was inspired by these Filipino entrepreneurs!  They are “champions”! With what we’ve seen today, I think they’re going to be very successful.  But don’t just take my word for it…. Go there and try their “Smoked Flavored Spicy ADOBO!”  You won’t be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the food looks delicious to me, will surely check this place out, recently went to Sassafraz, amazing restaurant with amazing food, also met the owner Zoran Kocovski, very nice person.

    ReplyDelete